The policy sets out the different areas where user privacy is concerned and outlines how the Malta Medicines Verification Organisation – MaMVO (“We”/”Us”) processes your personal information.
As a website user, you can tour through most of our site without giving any information that personally identifies you, reveals personal information or allows us to contact you. At times we do require information to respond to your requests.
MaMVO collects, uses, shares or otherwise processes personal information that you provide to us when you apply for permission to connect to the Malta Medicines Verification System (MaMVS), or that we may otherwise obtain through official bodies.
This statement explains the data we collect from you and its use.
What information do we gather about you and how is it being used?
This portal and its owners take a proactive approach to user privacy and ensure the necessary steps are taken to protect the privacy of its users throughout their visiting experience. This website complies to Maltese national laws and requirements for user privacy.
Cookies are small files saved to the user’s computer’s hard drive that track, save and store information about the user’s interactions and usage of the website. This allows the website, through its server to provide the users with a tailored experience within this website.
Other cookies may be stored to your computer’s hard drive by external vendors when this website uses referral programs, sponsored links or adverts. Such cookies are used for conversion and referral tracking and typically expire after 30 days, though some may take longer. No personal information is stored, saved or collected.
Contact and Communication
Users contacting this website do so at their own discretion. Your personal information is kept private and stored securely until such time it is no longer required or has no use
MaMVO uses any information submitted to provide you with further information as may be requested or to assist you in answering any questions or queries you may have submitted. Your details are not passed on to any third parties.
On-boarding is the process by means of which your organisation applies to the MaMVO for permission to connect to the MaMVS. The MaMVO will carry out a due diligence exercise on the details you submit, and then issue the communication details to you directly.
When you apply for permission to connect to the MaMVS, you may be asked to provide personal information, for MaMVO to be able to process your request.
Use of your personal information
We will process any personal data supplied to us for On-Boarding purposes for all or any of the following purposes:
- assess the eligibility of your organisation to access the MaMVS;
- communicate with you and provide you with communication details for on-boarding purposes;
- answer your questions and request for assistance, and solicit your feedback;
- process payments as agreed with you;
- send important notices, such as changes to our terms, conditions and policies;
- send you technical notices, updates, security alerts and support and administrative messages;
- for internal purposes such as auditing, risk assessment purposes, internal management, research and statistics, systems administration and the development and improvement of our system;
- to ensure we have up-to-date contact information for you;
- to prevent, detect and/or prosecute any illegal and/or criminal activity which we are bound to report and to meet any other specific legal or contractual obligations;
- to establish, exercise or defend any legal action;
- to protect and promote our legitimate interests and the proper conduct of our functions.
On what basis do we use your personal information?
We process your personal data as necessary in order to provide you with the required services when you apply for permission to access the MaMVS.
We may also be required to processes your personal data for the purpose of:
- compliance with applicable laws, rules, regulations, guidance and codes;
- compliance with demands or requests made by local and foreign regulators, governments, courts and law enforcement authorities, and complying with a court process, or in connection with any litigation;
Recipients and sharing of your personal information
Your personal information will be received by MaMVO’s representatives and employees.
We may also share your personal information with any of the following:
- our service providers strictly as required in order to carry out the purposes outlined in this privacy notice;
- our professional advisors and auditors strictly as required for consultation purposes or for compliance with our legal obligations;
- regulators, governments and law enforcement authorities as and when this is required under applicable laws and regulations;
- courts, tribunals, arbitrators or other competent bodies who may have authority to request such personal information;
Transfers outside the European Union
No transfers of your personal information outside of the European Union are envisaged.
How long will we keep your personal information?
We have a data retention policy that sets out how long we keep your information. This policy is based on the type of information, the purpose of collection, and the system within our digital platforms in which the information is held. As a general rule, we keep your personal information for as long as we need to in order to carry out those purposes for which your data has been collected.
We use reasonable efforts to safeguard the integrity, availability and confidentiality of all personal data that we process relating to you and regularly review and enhance our technical, physical and managerial procedures so as to ensure that your personal data is protected from unauthorised access; improper use or disclosure; unauthorised modification; and unlawful destruction or accidental loss.
To this end we have implemented security policies, rules and technical measures to protect the personal data that we have under our control. All our employees and data processors, who have access to and are associated with the processing of personal data, are further obliged to respect the confidentiality of our users’ and visitors’ personal data.
By its very nature however the Internet is not a secure medium and data sent via this medium can potentially be subject to unauthorised acts by third parties. We cannot guarantee the privacy or confidentiality of any information passing over our website.
Moreover, data sent via the Internet may be transmitted across international borders even where sender and receiver of information are located in the same country. Consequently, data relating to you may be transmitted via a country having a lower level of data protection than that existing in your country of residence. We shall accept no responsibility or liability whatsoever for the security of your data while in transit through the Internet.
Third party links
No third party is permitted to link any other website to our website without obtaining our prior written consent.
You have the right to:
- Ask MaMVO about the processing of your personal information, including to be provided with a copy of your personal information held by MaMVO;
- to request the correction and/or deletion of your personal information, or restrict or object to the processing of your personal information;
- to request to obtain and reuse your personal information for your own purposes across different services; and
- to complain to a competent supervisory authority, or to a court of law, if your data protection rights are violated or you have suffered as a result of unlawful processing of your personal information.
If you would like access to the information that we hold about you, if any of the information that we hold about you is inaccurate or out of date, or if you wish to restrict or object to us processing it, please let us know by getting in touch via one of the methods set out under the header “Contact Us“ below.
MaMVO may be required or entitled to retain and process your information to comply with legal and regulatory obligations and to protect and exercise our legal rights and legitimate interests.
The Malta Medicines Verification Organisation (MaMVO) is the controller of your personal information.
Should you have any questions, comments and requests regarding the processing of your data you may contact us through any of the following methods:
- Through our Contact Form;
- By Mail addressed to:
The Data Protection Officer